- What We Do
- Our Approach
- Our Work
- Thought Leadership
- Business Continuity Plan (BCP) Implementation
- FATCA Compliance Reporting & Technology Implementation
- GLBA Delivery Remediation
- IT Transformation Implementation
- Strategic & Operational ITSM Reporting
- Making Change Stick
- Moving Lean Acceptance beyond Manufacturing Shop Floor
- Organizational Risk - Executive Reporting
- Project Management Office - Bureaucracy or Benefit?
- Change is Inevitable
- Work with Us
- Partner with Us
- About Us
ITSM Strategic & Operational Reporting
Measuring and Quantifying the Health of Key Service Management Capabilities
This banking client had implemented an Enterprise IT Service Management (ITSM) tool in two stages within the last 18 months. In the first phase, Service Transition and Operation capabilities were established, including Change, Incident, Problem and Knowledge Management. In the second phase, implementation of Service Asset and Configuration capabilities, along with a Service Catalog and Universal Configuration Management Database (UCMDB) and discovery processes, were still in progress. As the ITSM implementation program neared completion, Technology leadership had little understanding of the health of (or value added by) the new processes, and Process Owners had difficulty identifying and communicating the efficiency and effectiveness of their process and the tool supporting it.
In a 3-month engagement, Ruota designed a KPI development process, then analyzed data from HP Service Manager in order to deliver a set of enterprise-wide Operational dashboards. This gave IT Service Management process owners (Incident, Change and Problem) an understanding the health of their processes, which could then be used as the basis for continual process improvement activity.
From the Operational Metrics, Ruota distilled a small set of cross-process Strategic KPIs, to provide senior technology executives with a clear view of IT Service Management maturity improvements on a monthly basis. Increasing the visibility and accountability of strategic vendors and their performance in the service of customers within the organization was another key outcome.
- Two slide Operational Metric dashboards for Enterprise Change Management, Incident Management and Problem Management, trending both Volume/Success and Backlog (Open ticket) metrics on a monthly basis
- Two slide executive-level Strategic dashboard merging operational metrics into a set of Performance, Quality, Compliance and Value KPIs that could be used to derive a regular overall ITSM Health improvement indicator
- Automation of data extraction and complex Excel calculation/analysis to provide rapid and consistent generation of the dashboards each month
- Conducted a high level Gap Analysis to identify key issues and barriers to improvement at the ITSM governance level, as well as the three key Operational processes
- Designed a Service Management Office governance solution to assist with ITSM control, reporting and improvement activities as the implementation program transitioned to a Business As Usual footing
- Delivered the first enterprise-wide visibility into the health of key Service Management capabilities that Senior Executives or Process Owners had accessed
- Provided clear trends and indicators of process health that Owners could use to improve their process and monitor outcomes
- Created a simple, repeatable and consistent reporting process that required fractional additional resourcing to complete on a monthly basis
- Illustrated strategic partner participation and performance against simple measures to drive improvements in service and outcomes
- Identified tool and process gaps that enabled quick wins to be identified and capitalized upon
- Designed a business as usual SMO governance structure that required little additional meeting or resource overhead but unified the approach to IT Service Management within the post-implementation organization